In Nov. 2015, Aspen native Torin Yater-Wallace suffered a strain of strep that became so serious he was sedated and put into medical paralysis for 10 days. He woke up in a University of Utah hospital 20 pounds lighter, drip lines running from his liver and gall bladder. Complications and more days in the hospital ensued. But on Jan. 10, 2016 -- two months after he fell ill -- he was cleared to ski. Six weeks after that, he earned his 5th X Games medal, Ski SuperPipe gold at Oslo. He's one of the most naturally talented pipe skiers the sport has ever seen. While Yater-Wallace owns two XG gold, he has yet to win in front of his hometown crowd in Aspen.
- 5 XG medals (2 gold, 2 silver, 1 bronze). Gold from Oslo 2016, Tignes 2013. 5th, XG Aspen 2016 while recovering from a serious illness.
- Contracted Streptococcus anginosus on Nov. 10th, 2015. Placed in medical paralysis for 10 days and couldn't ski for two months.
- Only competed in two superpipe events in 2015/2016: XG Aspen (5th) and XG Oslo (1st).
- 26th, 2014 Winter Olympics (Broke 2 ribs and suffered a collapsed right lung at the Dec. 2013 Dew Tour Breckenridge and it affected his performance.)
- Has been dating Olympic ski jumper Sarah Hendrickson since 2014.
X Games Competition History
|X Games Oslo 2016|| SKI SuperPipe||1st|
|X Games Aspen 2016|| SKI SuperPipe||5th|
|X Games Aspen 2014|| SKI SuperPipe||10th|
|Winter X Games Tignes 2013|| SKI SuperPipe||1st|
|Winter X Games Aspen 2013|| SKI SuperPipe||2nd|
|Winter X Games Aspen 2012|| SKI SuperPipe||3rd|
|Winter X 2011|| SKI SuperPipe||2nd|